Monday, December 12, 2011

So many wildflowers...

I can't help myself - just a few more posts of wildflowers as I wrap up my South American adventure. My husband jokes that we have 3 pictures of the glaciers and about 600 photos of tiny little flowers. But just look at how perfect they are. These tiny beauties are called streaked maidens. They seem to grow in the most rugged spots near the very tops of rocky outcrops where the wind drives them into a frenzied dance.

I saw these dog orchids in the guide book and said a little prayer "please please let me see just one". On our first day in Torres del Paine I was lucky enough to spot one right by the side of the trail and bent down to admire the details. They have a sweetly curved stem with the flower head nodding very politely at the end and a beautiful touch of pink in the center - just gorgeous! I got lost looking into that little bloom. It wasn't until I stood up to go that I realized that the entire meadow was filled with hundreds of them grouped together in little families. What a gift!
Dark green veins on a soft green leaf.


These tiny little red blooms are called waterfall plants and true to their name they grew at almost every waterfall we crossed.

I believe these are some sort of saxifrag. Unfortunately they are so small that most people don't even notice them.







This was the trail leading to the Valle de silencio. I was lucky to have the entire trail to myself. Because there is no overlook or grand view the trail didn't have anyone else but me, a beautiful red fox, tons of birds and more wildflowers that I could hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment