Monday, April 18, 2011

Two hikes in the gorge in search of Wild frittilaria




Little brown mushroom just one of about 5,000 different varieties found in the Pacific Northwest

We didn't find any chocolate fritillaria but we did come across these lovely Yellow bells - Fritillaria Pudica

These purple beauties are commonly called Satin flower. Clark said of them " a slope covered with these sprightly bells, sensitive to every whisper of wind, is one of the floral delights of early spring" We missed the similar Blue eyed grass which looks like a miniature iris by only a few days.



Manroot is a strange plant that later in the season produces "wild cucumbers" on delicate reaching tendrils.

Arrow leaf or Balsam root is just beginning to open but in a week or so the entire hillsides will be covered in gold.

Lichen in a splash of striking blue color.

Shooting star is one of my most favorite flowers. Its Latin name comes from a Greek word meaning protected by the Pantheon. I can see why the gods would cherish this diminutive little flower.

I had an giant patch of wild fawn lily in my home in Leavenworth. When I moved I couldn't bare to leave them behind so I brought a few with me and now every spring they come back and remind to to get out into the mountains for a walk with their sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment